Monday, April 9, 2007

Conversation Starters

Sunny bumming on the sofa

All dressed up! Ready to go shopping.

Not as yummy as my fingers

Babies and dogs are good conversation starters. Trust me, if you’re carrying your baby or walking your dog in the park, chances are you will definitely have someone smiling at your baby/dog then at you and if you return it, a conversation will begin. It depends; you meet good ones and yucky ones.

Stranger: So cute! Male or female?
Me: Thanks. It’s a boy.
Stranger: Jack Russell right? Wow, very active dog. Handsome yah.

And the conversation will drift from the brand of food they eat, the shampoo they use to the funny habits they have. In this way, I have made lots of new neighbors in both my old and new estate.

Sunny is a very popular guy in my old estate in good and not so good way. He is so well liked by the kids that I was having ‘little tours’ to my apartment showing them where he sleeps, his bed, the food he eats, the bowl he’s using and all his toys. Not so well like by the residents who dislike dogs, as we play fetch every evening on the grass patch with the kids. We will always have security guards chasing us because of the noise, it’s not Sunny but the kids who are shouting and cheering, but that's how kids play.

Now with Chloe, people will smile at her, say hi, and make silly face to attract her attention or try to touch her hands. I noticed that this group of people are the ones who do not have kids yet or their kids are grown up. Okay, the point here is I dislike strangers coming up and try to touch her. I’ll turn away, hold her hands or tell them, ‘Don’t touch her hands, she likes to suck her fingers.’ Period. The ones who have babies will ask about the feeding and sleeping routine, they will not try funny things, they probably had enough with their own.

Well, I met an irritating conversationalist over the weekend. We were at Centrepoint on Sunday (again!) to buy a mattress for Chloe, so while Simon went to put the mattress in the car, I waited with Chloe outside Crystal Jade. And there on the other end sits a skinny haggard looking aunty, the irritant.


Aunty: Boy or Girl? (keeps looking at us)

Me: Girl.

(So obvious, she’s in a purple dress! I know she doesn’t have much hair but still!!)

Aunty: You breastfeed?
Me: Yeah.

Aunty: Good. You working?
Me: No.

Aunty: Enough milk ah? Some working mothers pressed out their milk to store for their babies.
(Starts to makes squeezing action near her breast. Hello,
it’s pump, not press out. You think what, cow?!)
Me: Okaayy ...
(I looked away and talked to Chloe, big hint already that I don’t want to talk.)

Aunty: You give formula? Must mix; give her formula, blah, blah, blah, lah, lah.


Ultra-super irritating! Who is she to tell me what to feed my baby?!! I feel like hammering her head then. Thank goodness Simon appear to save her kutu head.
I suspect she must be an old hag hired by some formula milk company to hang around shopping malls during baby fairs to promote formula milk. Hmm... new strategy?

2 comments:

j-dee said...

Am I the only one commenting??? : )
Firstly, love Chloe's white headband, so sweet! And Evan, I TOTALLY understand your frustration when people ask "Boy or Girl?" Hello ... do boys wear white dresses with little pink flowers? Do boys wear spaghetti strapped blouses with frills? Really, really ridiculous ... i think you have just inspired me to write an entire post on this issue too! Oh, and about strangers touching and pinching Sera's face ... I can go on and on about that. Outrageous!

peanutbutter said...

Relax.... I have not done any 'publicity' yet so this blog is still quite private and unknown. :)

I think people these days think babies in pink flowery dress and pony tails with ribbons are actually mini drag queens in the making or there's a group of brain cells in their head not fine-tune properly. Can't they tell the difference? (I'll sew the word 'GIRL' on her headband.)

And I would REALLY hate it if strangers were to pinch Chloe's cheeks (luckily no one tried yet), I'll pinch their backside and see if they like it!