Saturday, November 10, 2007

Help Needed

We've been contemplating for the longest time about getting a live-in help, since I was pregnant with Chloe, that was like almost 2 years ago. We dropped that idea because, I'm just pregnant, nothing very major. So we got cleaners to come in once a week to spring clean the house while I still handle the daily chores.

So after many discussions, coin tossing, yes-and-no, we decided to get a helper aka foreign domestic worker (FDW) aka maid. We have heard our shares of horror stories about but seeing our friends and neighbors who have such wonderful helpers who have been with them for donkey years, we think we will give it a shot. The last horror story I heard from my girl friend before stepping into the employment agency is that her maid is a moth ball addict. Yes! She needs to sniff moth balls otherwise she will have a headache. Gulp!!

Why now? I wanted more time for Chloe and myself, to spend more time with her. To just be with her without thinking of the dirty laundry, the dirty dishes and the tons of chores. Argh! Enough said.

Our helper is from Indonesia, she is the fourth one I interviewed.

Part of the interview from one of the ladies I spoke to. Questions are prompted by the agency staff.

Me: Do you know what is your job if I hire you?
FDW: Yes mam, housekeeping.

Me: We live in a X-storey house, with X cars and 1 small dog and a baby. So you have to clean the house, look after my dog, garden and help look after baby. Are you okay?
FDW: (Pause) Mmm... Okay.

FDW: So you help me with housekeeping, mam?
Me: No! You do the housekeeping if I employ you.

This one wanted to have off days, can talk on the phone and seems to have many more requests which are yet to come. Dropped immediately.

No comments: